Aarupadai Veedu Temples - Six Abodes of Murugan
Lord Muruga is a Hindu god, also known as Karthikeya, Arumuga, Shanmuga, Subramanian, kanda, Kathirvela, Guhan and Kumara. Lord Murugan had worshiped first and foremost in areas with Tamil, particularly in South India.
The six most blessed abodes (Veedu) of Lord Muruga which is known as Arupadai Veedu were mentioned in the Tamil literature Thirupugal and Thirumurugatrupadai. The Arupadai Veedu Tour places (six abodes) are Palani, Tirupparamkunram, Thiruthani , Swamimalai, Thiruchendur , Pazhamudircholai has been separate thalapuranam. People believe that Muruga survives in all the mountains also these are the best tour places in Tamil Nadu.
List of Arupadai Veedu Temples
Lord Murugan Arupadai Veedu Temples (six abodes) are the most significant shrines for the devotees of Lord Muruga in Tamil Nadu. Some of the foremost festivals include Thaipusam, Kanda Sashti and Panguni Uthiram.
- It is a small town which is located about 8 km from the city of Madurai
- Tirupparamkunram where Lord Muruga married Deivayanai, the divine daughter of the king of heaven, Indra.
- Architecture: It shows the architectural works whose style belongs to the 7th or 8th Century as well as mandapams lined with elaborately carved pillars.
- There are three main caves; the foremost has Subramanyar, Deivayanai and Naaradar.
- Soora Samharam, Chariot Festival and Laksha archana is the famous festival at Tirupparamkunram
- It is located in the district of Tuticorin on the Indian Ocean.
- Lord Muruga fight with the Asura King Surapadma in Tiruchendur, it was believed that after the war it had turned totally red with violence because of the gory war.
- The most famous festival is (Oonjal Sevai - where Lord Muruga swings with his consort in a highly tranquill atmosphere).
Thiruvaivanankudi - Palani
- It’s Located on the Palani, at the foot hills of Kodaikanal.
- Thiruvaivanankudi Lord Muruga statue of Muruga made from "Navabashanam" by sage Bogar.
- The Shrine famous festivals for Kavadi and head-tonsuring as a way of contribution by devotees.
- The very famous occasion in which golden image of the lord goes around the temple in gold plated chariot that’s called golden chariot festival.
- Swamimalai has been located near Kumbakonam which is about 5 km.
- Swamimalai Muruga known as Swaminatha, Balamurugan and Swaminatha expound godly knowledge about the sacred “Om” to his father Shiva.
- The Soora Vahana Festival is very famous in Swamimalai.
- The Swamimalai Murugan temple is built on an artificial hill. The artificial hill called in tamil "Kattu Malai and another name for this place is "Thiruveragam".
- Thiruthani is a town 84 km from Chennai.
- The most famous festival is mirror festival (Kannadi Sevai) where the Lord's six faces are exposed through a mirror and worshipped.
- The Tiruthani hill has 365 steps indicating 365 days of the year.
- Lord Subramanya married Valli.
- Saravana Poikai, Sapta Rishi Teertham, Aadi Krittikai are the area of expertise of Tiruttani.
- Pazhamudircholai is located about 16 kilometres north of Madurai.
- The most famous festival is bathing (Abhishekam) festival where the Lord muruga is bathed in some holy waters and amidst the veda chanting.
- Lord Murugan had been appeared for the great Tamil poet and saint Avvaiyar.